2008 SECTION GOALS AND CHAIR'S GOALS ASSESSMENT
Dr. Marc Walters, 2008 Chair
2008 Section Goals Assessment:
1. To continue working with other scientific organizations.
We have provided financial support to NY State Science Olympiad. We
2. Review and reinvigorate Subsections and Topical Groups.
In 2008 we have surveyed our general membership to assess the NY Section
and to elicit suggestions on how we can improve where necessary.
3. Establish a committee advisory group (Committee on Committees).
After discussing this matter during our board meetings we decided that the
establishment of a committee on committees should await the outcome of our
4. Increase membership.
In 2008 we focused on student affiliates as a population where membership
increase could be fruitful. Towards that end we are committed to a campaign
to greatly expand our Student members. The newest addition of members
occurred in New York University where the members of the Draper Society (Chemistry
Club) chose to join the ACS certified club of Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute
2008 Chairs Goal's Assessment:
1. Sustain National Chemistry Week activities and participation.
Success in the 2008 National Chemistry Week (NCW) activities has been detailed
at several places in our report. While many subsections of the NY Section
hold activities throughout the week, the pivotal event takes place on the
Saturday of NCW at the NY Hall of Science. This event has grown in the
number of college participants in every year of its existence. The
number of visitors to the event has also been generally increasing.
2. Present programs that are of interest not only to the chemist but
also the public.
National Chemistry Week is one such event as are programs such as the Undergraduate
Research Symposium which invariably involves not only area H.S. students but
also their parents.
3. Reactivate the Government Action Committee (GAC) and establish NY
Section interactions with local government.
One signal success in a new area for the NY Section in 2008 was the activation
of GAC. The year culminated with a visit to Capitol Hill by members
of the committee to meet with the aides of members of Congress. Invitations
to local government representatives for NY ACS events will continue.
4. Expand teleconferencing and WebEx meetings:
Within the NY section we have begun to make regular use of teleconferencing
and web meetings. Further we have refined their use in identifying best
practices, such as the optimal number of participants in a teleconferences
and the format for such meetings in order to ensure their efficacy.
Similarly we have made use of web meetings although these usually involve
the section and an outside entity such as ACS National. One such instance
was a meeting between member of the NY ACS Government Affairs Committee
and the Office of Public Affairs (OPA).
SECTION GOALS AND CHAIR'S GOALS FOR 2009
Dr. Barbara Hillery, 2008 Chair-elect
2009 Section Goals:
1. To continue collaborations with other scientific
2. To increase public outreach.
3. To sustain and expand the use of teleconferencing
and other electronic communications.
4. To sustain the activity of the committee advisory
group (established under 2008 goals).
2009 Chair's Goals:
1. To review and update the section committee
structure, including functions of each committee.
2. To reinvigorate the Speakers Bureau.
3. To sustain the activities of the Government
Action Committee, which was reinvigorated by the 2008 Chair.
4. To review and update the descriptions of job
responsibilities for Executive Board positions.